15 February 2012

love for the acorns


such a tiny things, but so very magical. every year i just must gather them wherever i see them. oak tree's are a rare thing in wild nature in Finland, at least where i live. usually if i see an oak tree it must have grown from the acorn which squirrels have been hiding or birds have moved them from the parent tree. i have heard that there will be acorns in a oak tree when the tree is 30 years old. 


this acorn is a treasure from a friend Nina Bagley, just like the beautiful
'wonder' pendant of hers. if you do not yet know Nina, do
take a peek in to her blog. she is one of the most talented people i know and
every time i hold her jewelries i feel the love and kindness which she is. 
she truly is a woodland girl.


these lovely acorns paintings are painted by Jody Edwards
her nature paintings are just beautiful!

have you tried to grow your own acorn tree? maybe for just a little tree.
acorn needs a cold period, so they are able to grow to a tree. you can try to add acorn on a pot in autumn and leave it until spring comes. the sooner you plant the acorn the better, since they do not like to dry out.

8 comments:

  1. beautiful...I love acorns too.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful, I have just found and started following your blog and it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really makes me appreciate the beauty and magic of acorns. I didn't know of Nina Bagley - that Wonder pendant is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Delila, I also started blogging after a long period.
    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post dedicated to beautiful acorns.....xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post ,I love acorns too.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Delila, I love Oak trees too.....we have quite a few of them growing around this area.

    When my son left primary school he took some acorns from the school grounds planted them in a pot and then we planted them in the paddock to grow into big old shady trees.
    That was several years ago and they are now about 3 metres tall............
    A lovely reminder of that chapter in his young life.

    I love Nina Bagleys work and I spy a sweet little cup made by the talented Julie too.

    Hope you are getting a little warmer weather now.....it's cloudy and grey here with some rain. A beautiful morning to soak up the atmosphere and hopefully create something wonderful.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, like you, have a love for the humble acorn. I love it when they drop from the trees, it's like a sweet gift form Mother Nature. I gather them to display in my home all autumn and winter long.

    I have had the best time reading through your blog. Such a lovely surprise on a dreary day. Wished you lived closer,(I live in Minnesota, in the USA) I would invite you over for a tea party in my garden, I have a feeling we would have a wonderful time together!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete