9 April 2012

twilight fae



have you ever made something new which have made you giddy after you have finished the piece? today was the day when i sat by my studio table, trying to make jewelries, but somehow nothing worked. i decided to look Cicely Mary Barker's fairy journals, those beautifully made books filled with magic. i saw this image of Arthur Rackham, faery artist whom i have loved many years, but somehow forgot his art.


there it was on the page, image of Arthur Rackham's paintings, where faeries are wandering at Kensington gardens at time of twilight... Kensington garden is one of the places where i will travel on next weeks Tuesday. 


for months i have had this brass flower focal piece ready to use in jewelries, but it never worked with my other jewelry designs. after seeing these faeries wandering in the twilight garden, i thought i must make necklace of this brass flower pendant... lately the colors of brown and dark teal have been caught my attention where ever i see them. Month a go i visited in my friends home town. i did not wanted to go any shops, since i wanted to save money for my journey to England, but while looking at the shop front awhile my friend said that we should go inside to have a look. there i saw this beautiful beautiful print with a house in a woods, the painting was painted with colors of dark teal and shades of sepia and brown. surely i needed to purchase that print, which now inspire me on my tiny studio room. 

painted by Heli Pukki

today i decided to use those colors of sepia and teal. new colors for me. and even newer thing is to attach white lace. few weeks ago i found photographs of antique dresses designed by Boué Soeurs. Today i was pinning them on my Pinterest board and the combination of lace and sepia lingered on my mind all day. i am not sure why i feel giddy about this necklace... maybe because of the new colors and materials.

Boué Soeurs. the Metropolitan museum of Art.

6 comments:

  1. Delila, That is the dress of all dresses! And your necklace would look beautiful with it.
    Have a wonderful time on your upcoming trip!
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Delila. x
    I remember years ago when I was at college I did a project and talk on Arthur Rackham. I was very nervous doing the talk, but I remember the project I made was a large book and I made it look very very old, like a book from a fairy story. I filled it with Rackham pictures and wrote in brown ink. I so so wish I had kept it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you are feeling giddy, it is rather quite beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dear Delila - I'm just back from SE Asia and catching up with your many delightful posts which I'd missed. I returned to find most of my bluebells finished, I am sad to have missed seeing them, but other flowers are blooming and the garden looks quite lovely - I'll try to take some pics soon.

    Love what you been busy making - they just get prettier all the time! I'm excited for you to be off to England again soon - know it will be a wonderful trip and hope you can share photos with us. I'll be going over to Devon later this year for Christmas - I haven't been home at that season for long time so am looking forward to it....... even though the gardens will be less colorful.

    Happy day dear one - safe travels. Bob sends love.
    Love Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece is so lovely, Delila! I love the colors and the deep richness of the teel and the contrast of brown. I love brown :) I use it in a lot of my decorating, its such a nice warm base color, and it lets the beautiful teel sparkle. I love the strands of ribbon too, it gives the whole piece such an ethereal feeling.
    I love Arthur Rackham too! His work is gorgeous and he's one of my favorite artists, perhaps my favorite fairytale artist. His figures are so lovely and winsome.

    How exciting that you'll be traveling to England! That sounds like such am amazing trip! I hope it inspires you in many ways!~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering when you were coming to see the gardens. We have bluebells out in the wood where we got out of the car on the way from the railway station, on your first day. We of course thought of you.
    We have been to see Jane. On our way there we went to Emma Bridgewater factory, now I was so excited seeing so much in one place. Of course I had to buy a few bits. A dream come true for me. Hope you are looking forward to your trip. Xx

    ReplyDelete